Kid Tablets: Choosing The Best Tablets for Kids in 2023
Choosing a tablet for your child can be a daunting task, given the vast array of options available in today’s tech-savvy world. Not all tablets are created equal – some are better suited for kids with their safety features and educational content.
This blog will help you navigate through this digital maze by outlining everything you need to know about kid-friendly tablets; from different types to must-have features and tips on safeguarding your child’s experience online.
Ready to discover the perfect gadget for your little one? Let’s dive in!
- Different types of kid tablets include the Apple iPad (9th generation), Amazon Fire HD 8 Kids Tablet, Amazon Fire HD 10 Kids Pro tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab A8, and Lenovo Tab P11 Plus.
- When choosing a kid tablet, consider factors such as technical specifications, safety measures, and educational features.
- Important tips for setting up and using kid tablets include setting parental controls, selecting age – appropriate content, establishing screen time limits, and monitoring usage.
Types of Kid Tablets
Apple iPad (9th generation)
The Apple iPad (9th generation) tops the 2023 list as a front-runner in kid tablets. This tablet boasts a height of 9.8 inches and a width of 6.8 inches, offering ample screen space for young users.
With options to choose either Wi-Fi or cellular model, it allows versatile internet access for learning and entertainment on the go. Despite being one of the most affordable offerings from Apple’s array, the functionality and high-quality features it provides make it an unbeatable choice among parents seeking optimal tablets at reasonable prices.
It has gained immense popularity due to these remarkable attributes that cater perfectly to kids’ needs.
Amazon Fire HD 8 Kids Tablet
The Amazon Fire HD 8 Kids Tablet stands out as a child-friendly tablet tailored for young users. Packed with a powerful hexacore processor and an ample storage capacity of 32GB, this youth-oriented device ensures an impressive performance for varied learning activities and entertaining games.
One key feature that parents will find beneficial is the longevity of the battery life. Offering up to 13 hours on a full charge, kids can enjoy interactive learning apps or age-appropriate content throughout the day without frequent interruptions for charging.
What’s more? It comes with a durable tablet case designed to withstand accidental drops common in handling by children, giving parents peace of mind about durability. The high-definition display enhances visual experience making it even more engaging for kids to use.
A bonus attached is its two-year worry-free guarantee which provides another layer of assurance against damages.
Amazon Fire HD 10 Kids Pro Tablet
The Amazon Fire HD 10 Kids Pro tablet is a game-changer in the realm of kid-friendly tablets. Specially designed for children aged between 6 and 12, this standout device boasts an impressive 10.1-inch Full HD display that guarantees a vibrant viewing experience every time your child uses it.
The gadget comes equipped with a substantial storage capacity of 32GB, ensuring all favorite games, apps, and videos can be stored with ease. Notably, it offers an Amazon Kids+ subscription providing a treasure trove of age-appropriate content to keep youngsters entertained and educated.
Emphasizing on customer satisfaction, it includes a two-year worry-free guarantee making it one of the most reliable choices you could make for your tech-savvy little ones!
Samsung Galaxy Tab A8
The Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 is a fantastic option for kids who need an easy-to-use tablet. With its large 10.5-inch LCD screen, children can enjoy vibrant visuals while playing games or watching their favorite shows.
The tablet comes with ample storage of 32GB, perfect for storing apps, photos, and videos. Parents will appreciate the long-lasting battery life and the ability to expand the memory with additional options.
Plus, with the Samsung Kids feature, parents have control over app access and can ensure that their children are only using age-appropriate content. Additionally, this tablet offers full Google support, allowing kids to access educational apps from the Google Play Store in a safe environment.
Lenovo Tab P11 Plus
The Lenovo Tab P11 Plus is a budget-friendly Android tablet that offers high-quality display and efficient performance. With its sleek design featuring minimal bezels, users can enjoy an immersive multimedia experience on the vivid 11-inch screen.
This tablet also comes with quad speakers, providing enhanced audio for entertainment purposes. Additionally, it includes Google Kids Space, which allows kids to explore and discover age-appropriate content in an interactive and educational way.
The Lenovo Tab P11 Plus is definitely a top choice for those looking for a child-friendly tablet option that combines affordability and entertainment value.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Tablet for Kids
When choosing a kid tablet, consider the technical specifications, safety measures, and educational features.
Kid tablets and tablets for toddlers have specific technical specifications that you should consider when choosing the right one. The tablet’s internal storage capacity is an important factor to keep in mind, as it determines how many apps, games, and videos your child can download.
Tablets with 16 GB of storage are suitable for young children who don’t need a lot of space. Additionally, pay attention to the size and resolution of the tablet’s screen. A larger screen with higher resolution provides a better viewing experience for educational content and games.
When it comes to performance, consider the tablet’s processor speed and RAM capacity. A faster processor ensures smooth operation while a higher RAM capacity allows for multitasking without lagging.
Child safety is a top priority when it comes to choosing a kid tablet. Parental controls and safety features are crucial for protecting children from online dangers. It’s important to select a tablet that allows for content filtering, safe browsing, and internet security.
Parents should also consider devices with device restrictions and age-appropriate apps to ensure their child’s safety while using the tablet. By prioritizing safety measures, parents can provide a secure digital environment for their kids and promote responsible digital literacy skills.
Kid tablets come with a range of educational features that can enhance your child’s learning experience. These features include access to learning apps, age-appropriate content, and interactive tools that promote creativity and critical thinking.
Many tablets also offer parental controls that allow you to monitor and limit screen time while ensuring your child has a safe online environment. It’s important to consider the educational benefits of a tablet when choosing one for your child, as these features can greatly contribute to their development and knowledge acquisition.
Tablets for Kids of 2023 (Checklist)
|Factors to Consider
|What to Look for
|Age of child
|The age of your child will determine the features and functionality you need.
|Tablets for kids can range in price from around $50 to over $300. It’s important to set a budget and stick to it.
|A tablet for kids should be durable enough to withstand drops, spills, and rough handling.
|A long battery life is important for kids who will be using the tablet for extended periods of time.
|Kids will need a tablet with enough storage space for their apps, games, and other content.
|A powerful processor will ensure that your child can use the tablet for games, videos, and other demanding tasks without any lag or performance issues.
|Parental controls are essential for keeping your child safe online and restricting access to inappropriate content.
|Make sure the tablet you choose has a good selection of age-appropriate apps and content.
|If your child is active, you may want to consider a tablet that is water-resistant.
|A shockproof case can help protect your tablet from accidental drops and impacts.
|There are a number of different brands of tablets for kids, each with its own features and benefits. It’s important to choose a brand that you trust and feel confident in.
|It’s important to read reviews of tablets before making a purchase to ensure that you’re getting a good quality product.
Tips for Setting Up and Using Kid Tablets
When setting up and using kid tablets, it’s important to set parental controls, select age-appropriate content, establish screen time limits, and monitor usage.
Setting parental controls
Set up parental controls on your kid tablet to ensure a safe and age-appropriate digital experience for both older kids and younger kids. Here’s how:
- For Android tablets, access Google Play Settings and navigate to Family, then Parental Controls. Turn on the controls and customize restrictions as desired.
- Use the Internet Matters step-by-step guides for managing parental control settings on Android tablets, including adjusting privacy settings.
- Make your Fire tablet kid – friendly by setting up a Child Profile. Set age filters for content and web browser settings, and establish device bedtime.
- Limit tech use with parental controls. On Android devices, use the Family Link app to manage apps and set screen time limits. On iOS devices, go to Settings > General > Restrictions.
- To set up parental controls on a Fire tablet, swipe down twice from the top of the screen to show Quick Settings. Tap Settings, then Parental Controls.
- Take charge of Google Play by using the Family Link app. Open the app, select your child’s profile, tap Controls, Content restrictions, and finally Google Play.
Selecting age-appropriate content
Parents can ensure that their children have a safe and enjoyable experience with kid tablets and tablets for toddlers by selecting age-appropriate content. Here are some tips to help choose the right content for your child’s tablet:
- Adjust the age filters: Setting up a Child Profile on a Fire tablet allows you to adjust age filters for content and web browser settings. By sliding the age range bars, you can set limits on what apps, videos, and books are viewable.
- Set device bedtime: Parents can establish specific times when the tablet is off-limits by setting a device bedtime. This helps regulate screen time and ensures that children get enough sleep.
- Limit tech use: Age ranges for limiting tech use should be seen as a general roadmap for mentoring children rather than strict guidelines. It’s important to monitor your child’s usage and make adjustments based on their individual needs.
- Adjust web browser settings: To create a safer online environment, parents can adjust web browser settings to restrict access to certain websites or enable filters that block inappropriate content.
- Allow or restrict content: When setting up an Amazon Fire tablet for children, you have the option to allow or restrict them from seeing and requesting content outside their age range. This gives parents more control over what their child is exposed to.
Establishing screen time limits
Screen time limits are essential for children’s well-being and healthy development. Kids use tablets daily as they have become a major part of children’s education and entertainment. Here are some tips to help establish screen time boundaries:
- Set family guidelines: Establish clear rules for when the family should not be on their devices. For example, designate two hours before bedtime and meal times as device-free periods.
- Balancing screen time: For children aged 2-5, limit non-educational screen time to about 1 hour per weekday and 3 hours on weekend days. Encourage other activities like outdoor play, reading books, or engaging in creative pursuits.
- Parental effort: Managing a child’s screen time requires parents’ active involvement. Be proactive in monitoring usage and ensuring that quality content is being accessed.
- Mealtime restrictions: It is recommended to have no screens during mealtimes. Encourage family interactions and focus on enjoying meals together without distractions.
- Bedroom restrictions: Create a screen-free environment in bedrooms to promote better sleep hygiene. Remove devices or establish a charging station outside bedrooms at night.
- Video chatting exceptions: While it is important to limit recreational screen time, make exceptions for video chatting with friends or relatives as it can provide social connections.
According to the CDC, the below stats reflect the screen time usage by age. As depicted, kids aged 11-14 years old have the highest average screen time at nine hours, followed by the 15-18 age group at seven and a half hours, and the 8-10 age group at six hours:
Recommended screen time by age
- Under 2 years old: Babies and toddlers should have no screen time at all, except for video chatting with family or friends. This is because screen time can be harmful to their development.
- 2-5 years old: Children ages 2-5 should have no more than one hour of screen time per day, and that screen time should be co-viewed with a parent or sibling. This means that the child should be actively engaged with the screen, not just passively watching.
- 5-17 years old: Older children and teens can have up to two hours of screen time per day, but it’s important to make sure that this time is spent on educational or productive activities. Screen time should not replace physical activity, social interaction, or sleep.
Parents can monitor their children’s tablet usage in various ways, ensuring a safe and balanced tech experience. Here are some tips:
- Set screen time limits to control the amount of time your child spends on the tablet.
- Use parental control settings to track and manage your child’s app usage.
- Regularly check the browsing history and app activity to stay informed about what your child is accessing.
- Utilize password protection for app downloads and web browsing to prevent unauthorized access.
- Take advantage of monitoring apps that provide insights into your child’s digital activity and screen time habits.
- Have open conversations with your child about responsible technology use and set clear expectations.
In conclusion, when it comes to choosing a tablet for your kids, it’s important to consider tablets that feature their specific needs and interests. Look for tablets with the right technical specifications and safety features.
Set up parental controls, select age-appropriate content, and establish screen time limits. With the right tablet in hand, children can enjoy educational and entertaining experiences while staying safe online.
1. Are kid tablets suitable for all age groups?
No, kid tablets are designed specifically for children and are most suitable for ages between 3 to 12 years old.
2. Can I control what content my child can access on a kid tablet?
Yes, most kid tablets have parental controls that allow you to restrict or monitor the content your child can access, ensuring their safety online for kids of all ages.
3. Do kid tablets come with pre-installed educational apps and games?
Yes, many kid tablets come with pre-installed educational apps and games that are tailored to help children learn and grow while having fun.
4. What are the benefits of using a kid tablet?
Using a kid tablet can enhance your child’s learning experience, stimulate creativity, improve cognitive skills, and provide entertainment in a safe environment.